Thursday, August 5, 2010

IMNSHO

In My Not So Humble Opinion (IMNSHO), I did really good last night.  One whole chapter!
In the Old Testament even!

Since I will miss Sunday school this week, I thought I should at least read the lesson assignment to think  a little about what I should be learning.  So, I read 2 Chronicles 29 last night.  Good for Hezekiah for turning away from wickedness and deciding to have the temple sanctified again for worship.  How about this part...."Be not now negligent: for the Lord hatch chosen you to stand before him, to serve him, that ye should minister unto him..."?  What an inspiring speech he gave to the temple workers!

When I read about the temple workers cleaning out the temple and dumping all the filth into the Brook Kidron, I was thinking here was an early example of environmental pollution. :  )  I didn't learn a lot about Kidron from the Bible dictionary and its scriptural references, but I got some ideas about it from googgling it.  The word means black and it was the creek that everyone in Jerusalem threw their sewer into.  An interesting thing to me is, this is the same brook Jesus crosses over (John) to go to the Garden of Gethsemanie, which of course, is where he suffered such pain and then was betrayed and arrested. (John 18:1)

So, today I was reading 2 Chronicles, Chapter 30 about how Hezekiah invites everyone to come to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover.  They haven't done it for a long time because of the idol worshiping, etc.  So, the Levites had cleaned the temple and they were doing all the actual work of animal sacrificing because the "regular people" hadn't had time to purify themselves.  We know how the Jewish people were about their rules about food and stuff.....So, since these people were unclean, they weren't suppose to eat at the passover either.  But, this whole temple and religion thing was new so they hadn't had time to be cleaned again.

Everything is cool though, cause Hezekiah prays for them saying "The good Lord pardon's everyone that prepareth his heart to seek God....though he be not cleansed according to the purification of the sanctuary."  Isn't that awesome.  And verse 20 says God listened to Hezekiah and healed the people.

I think that is a sweet story.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment