Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dorry knows all

So when I was a teenager and frequently argued with my mom, her "trump card" was "You'll never be truly happy unless you are living the gospel."  It was pulled out for everything---wanting to go to a rock concert, wanting a later curfew, or absolutely anything else that I was pushing her into a corner with my arguments.  Out would come the "I've lived both sides of life and you'll never be happy without the gospel" speech and the discussion was over.

Yes, it was irritating and yes,  I pass it on to my kids now.  : )

I was reading Nephi 11 about the interpretation of  Lehi's dream.  The fruit from the Tree of Life is the love of God.  This fruit is the most desirable above all things.  So, I'm reading along and that all makes sense to me.

I noticed verse 23 for the first time.  The fruit is also the thing that will bring us the most joy.  That's what makes us the happiest.

All this time I thought Dorry was just speaking from her own personal experience as a convert to the church in her 30's.    Who would have known Dorry was quoting scripture?  She must already be a spiritual giant!

1 comment: