Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sunshine in my soul

So, I read The Hiding Place last week for a book club assignment.  I'd read it before, but it had been years.  I am so glad I read it again now.  I'm in a whole different place perspective wise!  Things jumped out at me that I may have forgotten from when I read it the first time, but I'm thinking it is just that I'm in a different place now and notice different things.

I marveled at their attitude and continuation to put their trust and faith in God.  Betsie was a near perfect person in attitude and deed anyway.  Corrie was a bit more "real" with nasty thoughts and anger sometimes.  She would self chastise herself though and found that when she asked God for help, she really was able to forgive or see things in a different light.   I was inspired at the amount of times God really did put miracles in their lives.  The whole story made me want to be a better person.

On Sunday, we sang "There is Sunshine in my Soul today" during our RS music time.  Our chorister read about the song's author and how she wanted to be able to share some of the joy she felt with having Jesus in her life.   She used such terms as "a carol to my king" and "sunshine" and "Springtime in my soul" etc. in an effort to convey that.

I feel like my testimony has grown so much since I've started trying to improve my scripture reading / studying.    I have definitely felt God's spirit in my heart more often.  I've felt things testified to me as I've been reading and so they have jumped out at me and strengthened me.  I've been able to use the things I've learned in my daily life.  I have felt more faith in God and truly more joy.   I am definitely a fan of Scripture studying--even though I still struggle with actually doing it.

At times, I've thought of the Christians you see sometimes that are so exuberant about God's love or being saved or whatever as taking it a bit "too far."  I mean, it IS good news and all, but there is a lot of work and sacrifice  that comes with it, too, you know?  I believe in Jesus and His atonement and I'm a happy person, in general, but I'm not feeling such overwhelming joy and happiness like they appear to be.

I have to say though, that lately I DO find myself feeling much more akin to the "Hallelujah, Praise the Lord  Christians" then I ever have before.  I feel even more gratitude then usual for all of HIS blessings.  I have thought and  wondered more about the Atonement then before.   I feel more of a need to put my faith in God.  Not just lip service, but actually action.  And, I feel more confidence that I CAN trust God in all things.  I think ALL of this stuff is because of scripture studying!!

When Hilary was talking about this Sunshine in my soul song on Sunday, I really related to what the songwriter was trying to say.  I DID feel that joy and happiness.  I think this really is from the scriptures.  I have got to keep up this habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment