Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ooops! Gotta repent already!

So, my very last post is about how much I feel like my testimony has grown, etc.  My next reading takes me to D&C 84:73 about how we aren't suppose to boast about gifts that you have.  I follow the footnotes on that--

"Neither boast of faith nor of might works"  (D&C105:24)  I didn't mean to be boasting, but I was feeling pretty mighty : ) so I suppose that was naughty.


Where is boasting then?  It is excluded.  By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. (Romans 3:27)
So, if I was faithful and really showing faith in God, I wouldn't boast.  Hmmm...is it a double sin if you boast about your increased faith in God?!  Double oops for me.

Put away from thee a froward mouth (Proverbs 4:24)    
At first I had thought it had said "forward mouth" which I understood to be "fresh or more of a "in your face" type thing.  (Yes, this does sound like me, unfortunately.)  Then I noticed that is not even what it says.  It said to put away thy froward mouth.  So, then I look up Froward mouth.   Froward is worse then forward!

"A froward mouth is a mouth that is not easily controlled. It's a mouth that speaks whatever it wants, whenever it wants..."  


OH NO!  I got this from a Christian ministry web site and it sounds JUST LIKE ME!  I could be totally attributed to a Froward mouth.


Dictionary.com has the following for froward:  willfully contrary; not easily managed:

obstinate, willful, disobedient, fractious, wayward, unmanageable,difficult.



In my heart, I  wasn't boasting with my previous post.  I was just "happy sharing".  So, I could justify those guilty feelings away.   But with this whole Froward mouth scripture, I am still totally pierced right thru the heart!!   If I ever decided to write my own Bible, I would have to put a picture of myself down in the footnotes after froward mouth.


And if you follow the footnotes from the Proverbs scripture you get to this one: 
Let the words of my mouth...be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord.  (Psalms 19:14)

Well, now that REALLY encompasses all kinds of problems I have.  I've even gone so far as to respond to my mother when she has chastised me for "trash talk" to say, "Yes, I know that isn't nice to say, but I have other sins I am working on now so I'm just going to keep talking trashy for now."  (See, that was very clever of me because she can't argue with that.  If she said I should be working on trash talk, that would indicate I should not worry about "my other sins" right then and that might be even worse!  So, she just gasped/grunted and held her peace.)

But, alas!  Now the Lord has called me to all kinds of repentence.  AND I've learned a new name to call myself.  Shakespeare has even written a big 'ol paragraph about a Froward wife and put it in the same sentence as peevish, sour and sullen (he was a woman hater, I think....At least, a wife hater for sure!).

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. You said "So, my very last post is"....
    Are you quitting your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No--I just meant the post previous to this one...I was talking about how awesome I was doing and then I read about how I need to repent.

    ReplyDelete