Friday, September 24, 2010

A word or two on Ghost Hunting

You know how "they" say all of the answers in life can be found in the scriptures?  I'm always kind of a doubter because I think things like, "Well, what should I make for dinner then?" or some other smart alack remark.  Since I could turn to the Word of Wisdom to answer the dinner question and now have seen a scripture about Ghost Hunting, I am thinking maybe every answer in life CAN BE FOUND IN THE SCRIPTURES!  

I know, I know, you want to know about the Ghost hunting scripture right?  Well, I have been reading about gifts and came across Moroni 10:30 which said to Come unto Christ and lay hold of every good gift, but touch not the evil gift.  So I started following the footnotes for not touching the evil gift.

Nephi 18:17-19   And I will wait upon the Lord, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.  Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and wonders...from the Lord of Hosts.  And when they shall say unto you: Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep and mutter---should not a people seek unto their God for the living to hear from the dead?"

And I read this and thought, "Wow, he is saying even if the Lord doesn't give you what you want right away, you should wait for him."   Wait, because you are seeking signs and wonders from the Lord.  So when people want to  talk to ghosts or call up spirits or whatever, you need to not go along with that, but wait for the Lord.

The footnotes from Nephi take you to Leviticus and First Samuel.
" And the soul that turneth after such familiar spirits and wizards...I will set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people."
And if you follow the 1 Samuel footnote to learn more about "familiar spirits" you come to the story where Saul didn't get an answer from the Lord and so he sought out a "familiar spirit" and the footnote for that says "superstitious".

So, we are told very plainly to stay away from superstitions and trying to call up spirits....even those whom we love and miss so much.....like a spouse who has died.  If we want to hear from the dead again, we need to turn closer to the Lord and continue to seek from Him...even if he doesn't answer at first.

Who would have known? !

Maybe the scriptures really are the answer to everything!

After I've read them all and studied them all the time and such, I am REALLY going to know everything, instead of just thinking I do now.  : )

1 comment: