Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Personal and Private

I was reminded of how true Repentance is in your heart....in your soul....and not a list of "to do" items that the public can see and determine that you are doing what's right.

 Joel 2:13 says "Rend your heart, and not your garments,  and turn unto the Lord your God."

Wouldn't tearing your clothes be accompanied by weeping and wailing and kind of a public display of grief, sorrow, or whatever?  It really matters what is in your heart.  When your heart is in the right place, then the good acts naturally follow.

It is so easy (for me, anyway) to get caught up in how things look to others or what I see others do and then base my judgement of whether they are a good person or not according to their acts.  Some people are just great actors though, and it is the private, personal moments that reveal what is in their heart.  What is true.

Therefore, for myself, I need to work on my own heart, and not so much what others see me doing.  Not seek after the praise of man.  Work to please God.....being pleased with myself (and others being pleased with me) will naturally follow.

Yeah?

2 comments: