Friday, January 28, 2011

The gift of the Holy Ghost

We started 1 Nephi, chapter 3 for Family scripture study this morning.  Mike only read a few verses before I interrupted and pointed out the wording of verse 1--- "Speaking with the Lord" instead of praying.  We talked a minute about what that would be like---how you get that kind of relationship with the Lord so that you describe your prayers as "speaking" instead of praying.

Then I asked  "what does it sound like when the Lord talks to you?" and we talked about that that for a minute.  I asked by show of hand if they had ever actually heard a voice. No one had except me.  About 14 years ado,  I was in the temple and a sentence came to my mind plain as day.  As if it was spoken out loud.   I tried to ask a question back and heard no more words, only the thought that everything would be o.k.  I came out of the temple filled with resolve on what I had to do.   That 6 or 7 word sentence has only happened one time in 42 years of praying.

Mostly, the Lord talks to use through feelings, impressions, and emotions.   Michael said when we were living in Minnesota and the opportunity came to move to Utah, he KNEW it was the right thing.   I talked about that strong feeling I had when I prayed about us moving into this house.  How I thought it was totally unnecessary, but that sure, strong feeling that it was the right thing to do.  When friends were having a fit and falling in it, how I would have to remember that feeling and surety I had, so I didn't get too confused or discouraged.

I talked about my experience with having another baby (Landon) and how I was out for a morning walk and came home to tell Michael I was ready to have a baby.  How it was the right thing for us to do and we would name her Kit.  (Landon got it as a middle name).

I shared a couple other experiences like those types of things.  Experiences where I hear no voices, but I know just as surely that it is the Holy Ghost guiding me.

Scripture reading was pretty much nil today.  But, it was one of the best family scripture reading that we've ever had.  The Lord's Spirit can do that.  I didn't want it to end.

3 comments:

  1. That is really really awesome! What a GREAT teaching moment! I love those type of opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya. And they really don't seem to come that often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they might be there more than we think. We get so busy with life and busyness that we miss it. They can often be those small moments.
    We went to the new liken movie on Saturday and it reminded me of this example you gave. You guys have GOT to see it the next time it is playing somewhere...or wait and get it in the fall!

    ReplyDelete