Thursday, July 29, 2010

Working out swimmingly

I have to say this blog idea is working out great for me, even though I haven't actually told anyone about it yet.
: )  (chick- chick-chick-chicken!)  I still feel a certain accountability to say what I've done, even though one is reading it.

So, it's not even 9 a.m. and I've already had scripture study.  I wasn't sure where I was going today, but the Bible opened to Isaiah. Generally, I avoid Isaiah because I usually have no idea what he is talking about.  I glanced at the chapter heading for 55 and thought it seemed easy enough to understand so I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.  It was a short chapter--how lost can I get?

I have to say, it went fine.  Great even, considering how much I avoid Isaiah and now I've read and studied a whole chapter (cross references, too!   I know, I know, Amazing!)

I couple things I was pricked by:

verse 2
I spend too much time "laboring for that which does not satisfy".  I've become increasingly irritated (and concerned) with my own ability to concentrate and stay focused on one subject.  I just go from one thing to the next and never really finish things.  It is like I have developed ADHD as an adult!  I was thinking the other day that I really need to start praying daily asking the Lord for help and if I still can't get a handle on it, I need to go to the doctor and talk to him about it.  This little problem is always in the back of my mind, swimming around, but I was thinking I need to pull it to the front and really focus on it and try to eradicate it.

verse 7
was just lovely.  "Let him return to the Lord.....for he will abundantly pardon"  
I love the word abundant---just overflowing with mercy, kindness and forgiveness.  What a great mental image!  See?  There is hope for everyone.  That's awesome.

Question:
What do you think the "sure mercies of David" (verse 3) mean?   I looked up the cross reference in Acts and it just used the same phrase without giving any more explanation.  So, I got out a New Testament commentary I have (by David Ridges) and he didn't say squat either.  I was disappointed.  Any insight anyone?  

2 comments:

  1. I really love reading your insights Beth. You are a great example. Thank you for letting me tag along to watch your journey and hopefully pick up some hints about SUCCESSFUL scripture study. It's a struggle for me also.
    Just wanted to say...GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No insights but I am excited you have a blog going.

    ReplyDelete