Friday, November 12, 2010

As a novice to the whole scripture STUDY idea, I keep getting amazed at how they really do talk about everything you might have a question about.

I think Matthew 15:5 is talking about kids acting like they are the gift to the world.  (Correct me if you disagree with what that verse is saying).  That is what I thought about when I read that.  How kids will act like we, as parents are so lucky to have them in our lives.  Naturally we are, but we owe that gratitude to God, not really to the kids.  They really didn't have a whole lot to do with it!

The funny thing is, is it's us, as the parents that give kids this sense of entitlement.  Cause we are always saying How lucky we are to have them and how much they've blessed our lives  and how sad we would be without them, etc. etc.  Of course, all these things are good and it gives our kids a nice sense of security and love and all that stuff.  But, it can also go so far the other way that they turn into this whole "My mommy will do this for me because she loves me," and don't really give full appreciation to the sacrifice parents are making for their children. (So, like what, parents who don't bow to their child's every wish don't love their children?)

Do you get what I am talking about?

After verse 5, Matthew goes on talking about honoring our parents and not being hypocrites and saying something that our heart doesn't feel.   We have to be careful not to raise children that are so self centered and really do think it IS all about them and that the rest of us exist to serve them.

Did you think that after reading Matthew 15:5?

No comments:

Post a Comment