Monday, November 8, 2010

Apparently, talk is not cheap

So, we are going to my parents for Family Home Evening.  A few months ago, something was said somewhere by someone that prompted me to think that it would be a good idea to have FHE with my parents sometimes.  It could be a good experience for them, my kids, and everyone.  Since my dad has a hard time moving around, I suggested we come to their house each time.  They can do the lesson and I'll bring refreshments.  That allows  my parents to give us "gentle correction" on whatever subject they think we need and also ensures that we actually have a yummy dessert at least once a month.  (I keep a bag of candy bars as my fall back dessert for FHE and use it frequently.)

We've only done it once so far, but it was great! My mom told a family story from her side of the family and we all enjoyed the 1.5 hours we spent together visiting, etc.  Unfortunately, this time, my mom asked if she could make the dessert and we do the lesson.  She has a recipe she really wants to try.    Naturally, I had to say yes.  Even though I have loved the idea of just showing up without having to do a lesson.  (Lazy in all kind of areas, I know.)

So, I pull out some notes from a General Conference discussion we had in church a couple of weeks ago.  By the title of President Monson's talk "The Divine Gift of Gratitude" I had written "unlocks the door to heaven." I had also written "Loaves and fishes---give thanks and then miracles occur.  Thank you helps others feel love."

Over the years, I have been very surprised to learn that apparently, my love language is words of affirmation.  That seems so silly to me!  After all, talk is cheap!   Aren't I smart enough not to get taken in by the silver tongue?  Well, hopefully, I can discern between sincerity and mere flattery, but I don't know.  Even when I know they are lying, I still like it.  : )  

I actually share a scripture with God.  D&C 59:21 (umm, I added my own name myself)   "And in nothing doth man offend Beth save those who confess not her hand in all things."  If you think of Offending in the way that we use it now a days---like hurting someone's feelings--then that is so true for me.

Relationships with my family have actually suffered when I don't feel appreciated.  The reverse is true also.  My heart melts when I am thanked or praised.  "You make the best sandwiches."  "You are the best mom ever."  "I am so lucky I married you."  Well, I haven't heard the last one yet, but I know it is true!  : )
In fact, I tell him so regularly!  As in, "You are SO LUCKY to have married me!"  (teehehehehe!)

Lest I regress, back to the subject at hand---Gratitude.

So, I am using the story of the loaves and the fishes from Matthew 15:32-38 and pointing out Jesus gave thanks first and THEN the miracle occurred.  I have done up a little chart for each of them with clip art pictures, so each night at dinner we can go around and say (and write) something we are extra grateful for that day.  No using the same thing twice.  

After the Lesson---
The lesson went fine.  I scanned two of the lists so you can see what I'm talking about.  It will be their job to come up with one thing per day to write one there for the rest of the month. I covered up their names for privacy.  : )

 



Do we remember to give thanks for the blessings we receive?  Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings,  but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love.   Thomas S. Monson Oct. 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment