Friday, January 13, 2012

Forget Not

So, I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about a lesson she is going to teach in her Relief Society soon.  She was taking part of President Uchdorf's talk this last fall about "forget me nots" and focusing on the importance part about not forgetting to be patient with ourselves and that the Lord loves us.  And maybe about not forgetting to be happy now.  I am not sure.

The part that caught my attention was her talking about how we often don't remember or recognize our own gifts.  There are many more gifts out there besides playing piano, being a great singer, or other "noticable" gift.
We often put ourselves down for what we don't have instead of focusing on what we do have.  Some of this is an effort to not be "bragging" and to make sure we appear humble.

As my friend pointed out though, that is not necessary.
The first scripture in the Book of Mormon has Nephi "bragging" about how he had righteous parents, he was favored of the Lord, and he has a lot of knowledge of the teachings of God.  

I hadn't thought of this before.  To recognize things you are good at isn't bragging about them.  It doesn't mean you aren't humble.  In fact, you can use this knowledge to thank Heavenly Father for blessing you with these things.

In Nephi 6:5 and 2nd Nephi 5:32, Nephi says that he is writing things that are pleasing unto God.

Nephi is not afraid to acknowledge the good things he does, can do, and is capable of.

D&C 60:2 talks about the Lord's displeasure with those that won't open their mouths, because they  hide the talents they were given.
D&C 6:33 Fear not to do Good
D&C 30:11 Always open your mouth for God's cause and don't be afraid of what man can do.  That's also said in section 122, verse 9 when Joseph Smith is depressed and down in Liberty Jail.
D&C 82:18 talks about how each of us are to improve upon our talents and seek more so that we can be helpful to each other.
And of course, D&C 46:11 starts talking about all the gifts that are given out.  Some of us have one gift and some have another, but everyone has at least one.  All the talents and gifts are given so that we can use them to help each other.

When I was talking to my friend about all of this, I kept thinking I had marked a scripture lately about how we can be confident and feel good about ourselves without being wicked, but I can't remember what it was (of course!)  I'd love it if someone would post any scriptures they read or know of that confirm this kind of thing.

Meanwhile, let us each acknowledge the talents we've been given, not be afraid to seek for others and remember and be willing to bless other's lives with them.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a scripture to share... I just wanted to say I was so glad to check and see you're back to blogging! I missed you!
    I think it's easy to recognize talents in others and hard to recognize our own. Maybe it is because we (I) don't want to put the focus on ourselves (me)? I also think Satan LOVES when we doubt ourselves - our strengths, talents, blessings, relationships, love, etc. - it's one of his best tools. I think this lesson of realizing and being proud of ourselves is LONG overdue and a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete