Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Complicated

The last month or so, I've come to realize that I have complicated my scripture reading.   In my effort to really study and "feast on the word" I've made things harder for myself.

I don't want to read unless I have my notebook with to take notes.  Or unless I have time to blog about my thoughts.  Or unless I go in and look up where I was before--I can't just pick up the scriptures and start reading anywhere.  It has to be "in the right place."

It is just excuses.  All of them.  It's kind of like the Zoramites that think they can only pray from the Rameumptom and that you have to have great clothes and be looking perfect in order to go to church.  It IS nice to have a quiet place to pray (maybe that is where the idea came from) and it IS good to wear your best before the Lord.   But, that all becomes bigger then it needs to be and you lose sight of what is really important.

Alma tells the poor people that don't have nice enough clothes to be allowed into the synagogues:

I say unto you, do ye suppose that ye cannot worship God save it be in your synagogues only?
And moreover...do ye suppose that ye must not worship God only once a week? (Alma 32:10-11)

I think to me, Alma would say,   "What?  You can only read the scriptures when you have your little gospel study notebook poised to take notes? Does reading scriptures and not blogging about it mean you don't get wisdom and peace from reading?  Can you only read scriptures between 9 and 10 in the morning on days that the house is quiet and peaceful?

Silly, huh?
I'm going to try to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment